Saturday, August 2, 2008

Our babies are growing!







Well, all 9 babies are now just shy of a month old. I can already tell that we have several roosters in the bunch. I don't know what I am going to do with all of them :) They are already getting real feathers and can get up in the roost with the big ones at night. They are a ton of fun to sit and watch (if you can stand the 100 degree plus temps that is). We make sure they have plenty of water. They stay in the dirt to try and stay cool. So, do you remember the brown mama I told you about that had like zero mothering instincts? Well, I actually had to keep her separated from the babies when they were itty bitty. She would actually pick them up and throw them if they got too close to her. Well, about a week ago I notice the babies gather around her and she was actually starting to feed them and give them food. Well I guess she decided babies are not such a bad thing because my daughter ran and told me she was sitting on a nest. I didn't believe her and sure enough she was sitting on 3 eggs. She has been sitting for about 4 days and I am not real optimistic. I went out today and she was sitting on an empty nest and I noticed 1 of the 3 eggs had been broken. I took the other 2 and put them in the nest with her and she pushed them under her so we shall see. It was like she didn't want to sit in the dirty nest :) I think the eggs will be fine because it has been 100 outside and she had not been off them long. Anyhow, here are a few pics of the progress.

No comments: